You are hereClub Rides / Club Rides
Looking for a great women's group ride?
We lead women-only rides from River City Bicycles in Portland every Saturday.
These rides are geared to (no pun intended) the intermediate rider. If you are brand new to cycling, the pace and ride length will probably exceed your limits. You can always come try us out with the option of turning back if need be.
So what is the pace? Typical (total ride) average speed is 15-17 mph — faster than a recreational cruise, but almost always conversational pace....well, except for the hills.
How long? Be prepared to ride 30-40 miles, often with hills.
Place? We leave from River City Bicycles (706 SE Martin Luther King Blvd) at 9 a.m. every Saturday, all year long.
Start Time: Rides start at 9 a.m. sharp! Please be on time ready to ride. If driving to River City, please park on the street, NOT in the River City parking lot, and allow yourself at least 15 minutes to get ready.
If you'd like to join us for a ride just show up ready to ride, or e-mail Sherri for upcoming ride specifics (route description, distance). She can also add you to her Saturday Ride E-mail list for future ride announcements.
Do we ride in the rain? Heck ya! But please come prepared. If we don't think you are dressed appropriately, we reserve the right to turn you away (treating hypothermia on the roadside isn't fun). Here are some guidelines:
- Thermal tights and a warm first layer for your core area
- Long sleeved jersey or arm and leg warmers
- Booties (these are shoe covers, they repel water/wind to help keep your feet warm)
- Warm gloves (thicker than you think if it is near 40 degrees out). If it's raining, bring an extra pair if you've got them.
- A good rain coat (Gore Bike Wear and Showers Pass are great brands)
- And lastly, PLEASE install fenders on your bike! Bolted on, full fenders with mud flap extensions. Fenders keep you drier, especially your back side, but also keep from spraying the rider behind you. If it's raining buckets and you don't have fenders, you will be sent to the back of the pack.
Looking for a bigger challenge? Try the team Saturday Morning Ride (SMR).
Longer Sorella rides also begin at 9 a.m. at River City Bikes on Saturdays and will be open to all Sorellas and any River City Bike rider who "graduates" from the regular recreation rides, simply by virtue of being strong enough to do longer faster rides.
The SMR has set routes. (see below). If you'd like to join the ride, print the cue sheet and map and/or download the GPS information to your mobile device and show up ready to ride.
THESE RIDES WILL NOT HAVE A DESIGNATED RIDE LEADER. Depending on the group and the day, the ride may be a drop ride. You should come prepared to take care of yourself, including enough clothing, food, water, flat-changing supplies and map/cue sheet.
First Saturday of the month
- Canby Ferry Loop: 55 miles, hills + flat (map)
Second Saturday of the month
- Wildlife Refuge in Vancouver: 44 miles, flat out and back. (map)
Third Saturday of the month
- Logie Trail loop off Skyline: 50 miles, all hills! (map)
Fourth Saturday of the month
- Vancouver Explorer: 52 miles, 2000ft eleveation gain over the whole ride, but no major hills. Gorgeous ride, but lots of turns, so have a good map! (map)